Read articles about new immigration laws and issues affecting you and your family.


On January 13, 2018, USCIS announced its process for accepting DACA renewal applications. If you were previously granted DACA and it has not expired, you may submit an application to renew your DACA. You must also meet the following requirements in order to qualify for DACA renewal:

1. You must not have departed the U.S. on or after August 15, 2012, without first having been granted advance parole;

2. You must have resided continuously in the U.S. from the time you submitted the initial request for DACA up until the present time; and

3. You must not have been convicted of a felony, a significant misdemeanor, or three or more misdemeanors, and must not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.

You should apply for your DACA and work authorization renewal at least 120 days prior to its current expiration.

Ley Ejecutiva del Presidente Obama

El día 20 de Noviembre del 2014 El Presidente Obama anuncio su nueva póliza de Inmigración. Esta nueva póliza trae varios cambios a la ley de Inmigración.

1. Acción Diferida para Padres de Ciudadanos y Residentes Legales de los Estados Unidos: Para calificar la persona tiene que ver entrado a los Estados Unidos antes de 01/01/2010; estar aquí 5 anos y ser persona de Buena conducta. Una persona puede calificar aunque este en proceso de deportación. Se puede aplicar en la primavera del 2015.

2. Acción Diferida Para Niños: la ley fue ampliada para que puedan aplicar los niños que entraron antes de los 16 anos de edad a los Estados Unidos pero ya son mayores de 31 anos de edad. También pueden aplicar los que entraron desde 01/01/2010 y eran menores de 16 anos de edad cuando entraron.

3. Cambios a otros beneficios: Los Requisitos del perdón I-601A para las personas que tienen que hacer proceso consular fueron ampliados también. Esposos y hijos de residentes legales también calificaran para este perdón.

Todavía no se puede aplicar. Se Tiene que esperar hasta que el U.S.C.I.S. publique las instrucciones y aplicaciones. Por lo tanto, es muy importante que obtengan accesoria legal de un abogado competente.

September Visa Bulletin


Categories Worldwide China (PRC) Mexico Philippines
1st 10-01-05 10-01-05 06-08-93 11-08-94
2A 05-08-10 05-08-10 04-15-10 05-08-10
2B 09-15-04 09-15-04 08-22-92 01-01-02
3rd 05-15-02 05-15-02 01-22-93 07-22-92
4th 03-08-01 01-22-01 06-15-96 02-01-89



Categories Worldwide China (PRC) India Mexico Philippines
1st Current Current Current Current Current
2nd 1-01-09 Unavailable Unavailable 1-01-09 1-01-09
3rd 10-01-06 12-15-05 10-08-02 10-01-06 08-01-06
Unskilled 10-01-06 6-22-03 10-08-02 10-01-06 08-01-06
4th Current Current Current Current Current
Religious Current Current Current Current Current
5th Current Current Current Current Current


Bankruptcy and Naturalization

With the slow economy, many people are considering filing bankruptcy in order to save the little they have. At the same time, they are concerned that this might affect their ability to achieve one of the American dreams of becoming a naturalized United States citizen.

Let you fears subside, filing bankruptcy will not affect your ability to become a United States citizen. In order to qualify for naturalization you must have five years of good moral character. As far as finances are concerned, the only thing that is looked at for naturalization is if you file your income tax returns. As long as you file your federal and state income tax returns every year, the filing of bankruptcy will not have any negative impact on your application for naturalization.

Top 3 Mistakes on Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative

Are you trying to save money by filling out your own form I-130?  I review thousands of immigration form I-130 applications, and almost every one of them has a problem that will cause it to be rejected or delayed. Avoiding these common mistakes is easy if you know what they are:

Top 3 problems on form I-130:

1. Not listing spouse and children.

2. Not listing if you will be adjusting in the US or at a consular post in your country.

3. On spousal petitions, not including the form G-325A with the form.

There are other problems of course, and it’s a good idea to have an expert review your I-130 before you submit it.
(For a very low consultation fee, we can review your form I-130 for you.)

Check back often — we will be updating this list with more helpful tips shortly!

Download form I-130
Download I-130 instructions

Top 5 Free Legal Aid Resources in Los Angeles

How to get free legal aid is a question I get all the time, and there are actually plenty of ways to get free legal help in Los Angeles, but the best recommendation depends on your particular situation.

For example, if you have general questions about a legal matter you may only need to find and attend a free legal clinic, where you can get a consultation with an attorney or help from law students (I’ve volunteered at many of these).  On the other hand, if you are involved in a criminal matter or are in deportation proceedings, you might need to find an attorney to represent you in court “pro bono” (which means providing professional work as a public service without charge).

Here are the top free legal resources in Los Angeles:

1. CARECEN: An immigration clinic held every few months, where attorneys such as myself volunteer to speak about current issues and then help some of the attendees one-on-one afterwards.

2. Harriet Buhai Center: A free family law clinic for low income persons.

3. Domestic Violence Clinics: most Court houses have a free domestic violence clinic to help victims with restraining orders.

4. LACBA Community Services: this is a great resource where you can search within different areas of law to find a lawyer who may be willing to assist you. You’ll need to fall below a certain income level to qualify for Pro Bono, usually.

5. Dept. of Justice List of Free Legal Service Providers in California: If you have a pending immigration case or removal case, you are provided with a list of low-cost or pro bono attorneys that can assist you with your matter.

Also, don’t forget to tune in to the radio show for general questions and answers on immigration topics. And if your situation is urgent, please send me a note by email by clicking here or call to receive a telephone consultation.

Immigration Form Fees Increase in November 2010

CIS is planning to increase fees on most applications on November 23, 2010. One of the only applications not subject to the increase is the N-400, application for naturalization. CIS representatives have commented that the reason the naturalization application fee is not being increased is to encourage those that are eligible to become citizens of the United States!

Final Rule: Schedule of Fees
The following schedule lists the adjusted fees that will take effect on November 23, 2010, alongside the existing fees in effect until that date:

Form No. Application/Petition Description Existing Fees (effective through Nov. 22, 2010 Adjusted Fees (effective beginning Nov. 23, 2010)
I-90 Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card $290 $365
I-102 Application for Replacement/Initial Nonimmigrant Arrival-Departure Document $320 $330
I-129/129CW Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker $320 $325
I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) $455 $340
I-130 Petition for Alien Relative $355 $420
I-131 Application for Travel Document $305 $360
I-140 Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker $475 $580
I-191 Application for Advance Permission to Return to Unrelinquished Domicile $545 $585
I-192 Application for Advance Permission to Enter as Nonimmigrant $545 $585
I-193 Application for Waiver of Passport and/or Visa $545 $585
I-212 Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the U.S. after Deportation or Removal $545 $585
I-290B Notice of Appeal or Motion $585 $630
I-360 Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant $375 $405
I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status $930 $985
I-526 Immigrant Petition by Alien Entrepreneur $1,435 $1,500
I-539 Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status $300 $290


Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative/Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition $670 $720
I-601 Application for Waiver of Ground of Excludability $545 $585
I-612 Application for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement $545 $585
I-687 Application for Status as a Temporary Resident under Sections 245A or 210 of the Immigration and Nationality Act $710 $1,130
I-690 Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility $185 $200
I-694 Notice of Appeal of Decision under Sections 245A or 210 of the Immigration and Nationality Act $545 $755
I-698 Application to Adjust Status from Temporary to Permanent Resident (Under Section 245A of Public Law 99-603) $1,370 $1,020
I-751 Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence $465 $505
I-765 Application for Employment Authorization $340 $380
I-817 Application for Family Unity Benefits $440 $435
I-824 Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition $340 $405
I-829 Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions $2,850 $3,750
I-881 Application for Suspension of Deportation or Special Rule Cancellation of Removal (Pursuant to Section 203 of Public Law 105–110) $285 $285
I-907 Request for Premium Processing Service $1,000 $1,225
Civil Surgeon Designation $0 $615
I-924 Application for Regional Center under the Immigrant Investor Pilot Program $0 $6,230
N-300 Application to File Declaration of Intention $235 $250
N-336 Request for Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings $605 $650
N-400 Application for Naturalization $595 $595
N-470 Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes $305 $330
N-565 Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document $380 $345
N-600/600K Application for Certification of Citizenship/ Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate under Section 322 $460 $600
Immigrant $0 $165
Biometrics Capturing, Processing, and Storing Biometric $80 $85

DREAM Act: New Immigration Law?

Great news for immigrants! Congress is considering the DREAM Act. It would grant legal resident status to undocumented immigrant students.

The qualifications to apply: those who entered the United States before turning 16 and were raised here continuously for at least five years prior to the passage of the bill, graduated from an American high school, obtained a GED, have been accepted to a college, or joined the military. The bill also says they must be between the ages of 12 and 35 at the time of the application and they must be of “good moral character.”

Remember that this is not a law yet. It still must be considered and voted on by Congress in the next session, and many things about it could change or be added and removed. If it becomes law, you may be able to apply as early as next year.

So, be sure to subscribe to the “Noticias de Inmigracion” to stay updated and learn when you can benefit from this proposed new immigration law.

No Permite Ser Defraudado Bajo La Ley Del Tiempo

Las leyes de inmigración pueden parecer directas pero pueden realmente ser muy complicadas, y muchos inmigrantes pierden su oportunidad de obtener una vida mejor para sí mismos y sus familias cuando les hacen creer que las leyes son más simples de lo que realmente son. A menudo, esto se convierte en una pesadilla para muchos inmigrantes.

Uno de los mejores ejemplos es la ley infame “del tiempo” en cual un notario o consultante de inmigración sin escrúpulos le dice a una persona indocumentada que puede obtener un permiso de trabajo por haber estado presente en los EE.UU. por mas de diez (10) años. Mientras que si es verdad que el permiso de trabajo se puede obtener a través de una disposición especial en la ley, a menudo nunca le explican que este proceso expone al inmigrante a un proceso de deportación.

La tal “ley del tiempo” en actualidad es la ley de “cancelación de deportación.” Esta ley
esta disponible para personas que están en proceso de deportación y pueden comprobar
que han estado en los EE.UU. mas de diez (10) años (antes de llegar a corte); que son
personas de carácter bueno moral; y que un pariente immediate (esposo, hijo o padre) va
a sufrir un daño excepcional si la persona es deportada. Lo más difícil de comprobar es el tal daño excepcional: por ejemplo, La Barra de Apelación de Inmigración (BIA) a dicho que para comprobar un daño excepcional a un hijo, dicho hijo tiene que tener una condición medica, o estar en clases especiales en la escuela.

Los notarios y consultantes que defraudan a la comunidad no les explican que los están entregando a un proceso de deportación para aplicar por la ley de cancelación de deportación. Bajo esta ley, los jueces de inmigración solamente pueden otorgar 4,000 visas por ano en todos los EE.UU. para casos de cancelación de deportación. Para darles una idea de lo difícil que es obtener su residencia por esta ley, desde el 1997 que se implemento la ley cancelación de deportación, no han otorgado las 4,000 visas.

No deje que nadie los entregue a un proceso de deportación. Si usted ya se encuentra en esta situación y esta en un proceso de deportación, es muy importante que su caso sea bien preparado y profesionalmente presentado al juez. Recuerde que un notario o consultante no puede representarlo frente a un juez, y que usted tiene derecho a un abogado competente no ha un abogado de pasillo que solamente lo encuentra fuera de la corte.

Si todavía no están bajo este proceso y están investigando si califican o no para algunos beneficios de inmigración, ejercen sus derechos y hagan muchas preguntas. Si parece demasiado bueno para ser verdad, seguro que no lo es.

Renovación de la Residencia Condicional

Cuando una persona obtiene su residencia legal a través de su esposo o esposa y han estado casados por menos de dos años al momento que fue aprobado el caso, la residencia legal es condicional. Esto significa que documentación adicional se debe archivar con el departamento de inmigración dentro de cierto tiempo.

A una persona que inmigración le concede la residencia condicional le dan una tarjeta que expire en dos años. Esto significa que 90 días antes de la expiración de la residencia condicional, la persona debe archivar una forma con el departamento de inmigración para quitar la condición y hacerla permanente. Si la persona no hacer esto antes de la expiración de la residencia condicional, la persona pierda su estado legal en los Estados Unidos.

La razón que el departamento de inmigración ha implementado esta ley es para asegurarse que las personas no están cometiendo fraude al casarse. Inmigración quiera asegurarse que las personas están contrayendo matrimonio porque se quieren y no para obtener su residencia permanente en los Estados Unidos.

El departamento de inmigración requiere que las personas archiven la forma I-751 con la documentación que compruebe que el matrimonio es de buena fe. Es muy importante que la comunidad entienda que si el matrimonio es de buena fe, pero por circunstancias más allá de su control, la unión termina antes del tiempo en el cual la aplicación tuvo que ser archivada, ellos pueden y deben archivar la aplicación ellos mismos dentro del mismo periodo demostrando que la unión fue de buena fe (los documentos que se pueden utilizar para demostrar la unión de la buena fe son impuestos, cuentas comunes, fotografías).

Además, una persona que es una víctima de la violencia o de la crueldad extrema, puede archivar la petición para quitar la condición por su propia cuente dentro del mismo período con la documentación que demuestra la violencia (por ejemplo: fotografías, informes del policía, declaraciones).

Es extremadamente importante que una persona este consciente de la fecha la cual la residencia condicional expirará y preparar la aplicación y la documentación necesaria para poderlos someter 90 días antes de la expiración de tal fecha. Excepciones existen para archivar la aplicación después de la expiración de la residencia condicional, sin embargo, hay un nivel mayor para que tales excepciones sean concedidas y una persona no debe asumir tal riesgo.

Una aplicación bien preparada será probablemente aprobada por el departamento de inmigración y la persona será residente permanente legal de los Estados Unidos.